Saturday, January 5, 2008

To Gawk, or not to Gawk? That is the question.

Where do I start? I am just as overwhelmed with the recent Gawker changes as many of my fellow commenters. There is one major hitch with this; none of us are Denton. Gawker Media is Denton's big boy toy to do with as he sees fit whether the commenters like it or not. I am not going to go around bad-mouthing (bad-writing) Gawker because it brought many good things to my attention. The best of these "things" are the commenters. I have never really belonged to a group or a club and it was heaven sent to be granted commenting priviliges by Balk's Cock himself. A God among cocks if there ever was one. Yes, I just said that-hah! But I digress, back to Gawker and its evolution. One of the sadder losses, aside the editors which are becoming to numerous to name, is Tionna Smalls. Now I am typically not vicious while commenting, but this did draw out some of my ire. The removal of Tionna was insidiously timed with the addition of Julia Allison live blogging..? Who is Julia Allison you ask? I really don't know other than the appearance of her breasts, repeatedly, on Gawker and she dated Jakob Lodwick from College Humor. Honestly, neither of these accomplishments move me. Julia was introduced to the commenters through our lovely LOLcait AKA Richard Lawson, who was recently promoted. (Good for LOLcait) This itself caused some confusion. The commenters as a whole love LOLcait, but are less than impressed with JA. So to support Richard, we ended up supporting JA. Well played, Denton. Well, like I mentioned previously I do not know anything about JA so I did ask her a real question; I did not skewer her. After all, the Gawker changes were not brought on by her. Well, the cold meds are wearing me down again so I will be watching from the wings and probably not actively participating in Gawker, at least not for a while. One final question before parting, Denton if you happen to read this, 2 girls 1 cup with videos..why?

3 comments:

Adam said...

I think the 2 Girls 1 Cup thing was pageview fodder and quick and easy journalism. It's kind of like the old "Ugliest Buildings in Town" (something I am clearly guilty of, though I haven't seen too many of these for SLC.) It's relatively timeless and has mainstream appeal. And it's quick and easy to write and tends to plenty of comments along the lines of "Oh, gross!!!1!1!!"

It has been a sad time, but we will persevere.

moff said...

I already said this in a Gawker comment, but, yeah, the "2 Girls" post was just gratuitous; and the worst part was that it's a phenomenon that's been around for weeks, if not months, so this wasn't even timely info. The whole thing smacked of a gross uncle who just discovered the Internet and thinks forwarding offensive jokes is the funniest thing ever.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I NEVER loved LOLCait. He had to be spending upwards of six hours per day making comments. A frightening number of them were cringe-inducing puns. Just like with the Mystery Method, if you make a thousand comments per day, one or two of them will actually be funny (although that may be giving him too much credit).