Monday, January 14, 2008

Bobby Blobby and the tale of 3 Fish
















Today has been another sad day in my household. My uncle passed away, specifically my father-in-law's brother. We heard the news yesterday, but the obituary was in the paper today. It's so final when you see it in the paper with other people's loved ones. We are not alone in our grief. There has been a cloud of sadness surrounding the town where I live. One of the most tragic was a 13 year old girl killed while crossing a local highway. The story is she was talking to her friend while crossing the road and dropped her cell phone. Following natural instinct, she bent down to pick it up; the driver of a pick-up did not see her in time. Her friend on the phone heard the horror of it all. To make it even worse, if possible, it turns out that they were neighbors on the same street. Colleagues of mine who know both families say the man, the driver, has not gone home since the accident. Tragic. My neighbor's daughter knew the girl well and has been rather depressed since the accident. A friend of hers noted how she was not her usual self and decided to cheer he up by giving her fish, three little gold fish. My neighbor's daughter now checks on these three little fish every morning before school. Three new lives she is guarding like a mother hen in the face of the loss of her friend. I think this is how we pay our way; how we pay it forward in the circle of life. Many have said that we pay off our debt to our parents off when we raise our own children. I believe this. Bobby Blobby showed me this today. In all of my sadness, the tale of Bobby Blobby made me laugh, a lot. My 11 year old, one of the young men currently helping pay off my debt to my parents, gave me the book he wrote in school today, Bobby Blobby. So, as part of my daily counting of the blessings, I can add Bobby Blobby and three little fish.
*Scroll bottom up to read Bobby Blobby in order. He tells me his next Seussian styling is Bobby Blobby gets a hobby.

3 comments:

Adam said...

That book is adorable.

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Kewgr said...

@SLC: Thanks, I'll share your comment with my son; he'll be thrilled.

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with this lady, my extraordinary daughter. My chest is out to there! I helped bring this wonderful person into this world. Did I do good, or what!

Gina's Dad