Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Memories

The holidays really get me emotional and I know I am not alone. One thing I rediscovered in a box of Christmas mementos was a picture of my great grandmother. It is a wonderful picture of her on a Merry-Go-Round's carousel horse; she must have been in her upper 70's at the time it was taken. She has been gone now for around 20 years and it still stings. In fact seeing the picture made me all weepy. Not just sad that she is gone, but just sooo many happy memories flooding back. She was the happiest person I knew. In fact Snuggle Bear made her tremendously happy. She couldn't quite wrap her head around what made him move and talk in the commercials. I even went out and bought her a stuffed one for a Christmas present one year. Turned out to be her last Christmas with us too; she was gone by Valentine's Day. Of all of the loving expressions I have ever heard, her's was the best. She used to tell me she "loved me a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck." I'd give anything to spend some more time with her and hear it one more time, but I can't ,yet. I'll meet her when my chores are through (Collin Raye song, "Love Me"). and until then I will love my children a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck. Maybe some time this season some of you could try out that phrase on your loved ones-especially children, and enjoy the look on their faces as they think about it.

No comments: